Washington, District of Columbia,
BRUCE A. SILVERGLADE is a Principal at the law firm of Olsson Frank Weeda Terman Matz PC in Washington, DC. His practice includes resolution of competitive disputes, proactive responses to regulatory proposals, management of class action lawsuits and regulatory enforcement actions challenging food labeling and advertising, food safety (including accreditation of third-party auditors and foreign supplier verification), economic adulteration, and federal nutrition policy.
Mr. Silverglade has extensive experience with such issues on both the national and international levels working with top officials at FDA, FTC, USDA, the Canadian government, the European Commission, and international agencies including the Codex Alimentarius Commission and the World Health Organization.
He is also experienced in Congressional oversight, appropriations, and legislative matters having testified before Congress on more than 25 occasions. Prior to joining OFW Law, Mr. Silverglade was Director of Legal Affairs at the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Bridging the gap between consumer organizations and the food industry, he organized a bipartisan effort that culminated in the enactment of the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990 (NLEA). Bruce maintains close contacts with consumer groups on matters of strategic significance to the food industry.
During the course of his career, he served as lead counsel in U.S. Court of Appeals cases, successfully challenging arbitrary and capricious actions by regulatory agencies. Mr. Silverglade also worked at the FTC and served as an Attorney-Advisor to the Director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection’s Office of Policy and Planning.
Mr. Silverglade received his BA, cum laude, in political science from the University of Illinois, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, and his JD from Boston College Law School. He studied Law and Public Policy at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Bar Admissions:
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- University of Illinois
Honors: Cum Laude
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Major: Political Science
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- DC Bar Assn., 1987 - 1988
- Admin. Law Council
- Comm. on Rulemaking, Federal Bar Assn., 1984 - 1985
- V. Chairman
- Food and Drug Law Institute
- Distinguished Service and Leadership Award (2010)
- National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine Reviewer – Front of Package Nutrition Relating Systems (2011)