Washington, District of Columbia,
Jolyda O. Swaim is a principal at OFW Law, where her practice focuses on USDA-FSIS and FDA regulatory matters related to meat and poultry production and FDA-regulated foods such as RTE sandwiches, salads and cheese, as well as spices and shell-egg operations. She provides expertize in preparing for or responding to FSIS and FDA inspections or regulatory actions, developing or reviewing food safety programs – including onsite risk assessments – assists clients with meat and poultry labeling; HACCP and SSOP development and compliance; quality assurance and sanitation matters; as well import and export issues. Ms. Swaim also assists clients with meeting waste discharge requirements related to the Clean Water Act (CWA), the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), and related pre-treatment permits.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Swaim had extensive experience in the food industry, specifically working for Sara Lee Corporation, ConAgra Foods, Inc., and The Campbell Soup Company. Her work included meat and poultry slaughter and processing, high-risk bakeries, various prepared or frozen food operations, as well as vegetable manufacturing (acidified and LACF) and spice blending. She has experience in all matters relating to food production, gained from direct control of departments such as Food Safety, Sanitation, Quality Assurance, Consumer Affairs, and Production.
Before joining our firm, Ms. Swaim served as the Corporate Food Safety Director for Sara Lee Corporation, with oversight of its meat and poultry operations in the United States and Mexico and high-risk bakeries and cheese. Besides her food production experience, she has had direct responsibility for waste treatment systems including: lagoon treatment systems, phosphorus removal systems, and other pretreatment systems with responsibility for all compliance and reporting. While at The Campbell Soup Company, she was nominated by the local township and selected by the Michigan Water Pollution Control Association to receive the 1992 Michigan Water Pollution Control Association's Outstanding Wastewater Worker of the Year.
- Food Safety and Inspection Service
- Agriculture Marketing Service
- Food and Nutrition Service
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Grain Inspection, Packers, and Stockyards Administration
- Food and Drug Administration
- Bar Admissions:
- District of Columbia, 2004
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan,
Honors: Cum Laude
- Mercyhurst University,
- Published Works:
- Food and Drug Law Regulation, 2nd Edition, Chapter Five, Food: Meat and Poultry Inspection (Co-Author with Brett T. Schwemer.) , The Food and Drug Law Institute , 2011
- Food and Drug Law Regulation, Chapter Five, Food: Meat and Poultry Inspection (Co-Author with Brett T. Schwemer.) , The Food and Drug Law Institute, , 2008
- Food Products Recall Manual, (Co-Author with Richard Frank , Robert Hahn, David Durkin, and Elliot Belilos.) , The Food Institute , 2008
- Importing Food into the United States : A Regulatory Guide, Chapter 3, USDA Regulatory Requirements , The Food Institute , 2007
- Avian Influenza; A Primer on the Science, Regulations and Policies , The Food Institute Press , 2006
- The Food Safety and Inspection Service's Lack of Statutory Authority to Suspend Inspection for Failure to Comply with HACCP Regulations , Journal of Food Law & Policy, University of Arkansas School of Law , Fall , 2005